Santorini island

the volcanic island made of lava and soul

Kamari village

One of the most touristic and well developed places in Santorini.Kamari lies 10 km from Fira and lies an endless black-sanded beach. The churches of Panagia Mirtidiotissa as well as the archaeological findings are worth visiting.

It was in Kamari when once lied ancient Ia, the port of the oldest capital of the island. The road from Kamari leads to Messa Vouno, the archaeological site of Ancient Thira.

Close to Kamari is Messa Gonia with the church of Episkopi, (dedicated to Holy Mary, a Byzantine cross-shaped domed temple stavroidis) an old church, which was built in 1100.

The town is connected with frequent bus service form Fira. There are also travel and rent-a-car facilities available for further exploration of the area. Completely rebuilt after the 1956 earthquake, Kamari was the most important strategic point after the decline of Akrotiri in ancient times.